HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

From:
Wayne Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 17:30:42 -0500
Thanks to Eric Shubert of Notre Dame, members of this list hear
frequently about the ongoing saga of the development of DCE as
an accepted computing environment.  Since I didn't see Eric last
week at DECORUM'96 (a DCE oriented conference) where quite a number
of new developments were announced, I am offering a summary of my
trip report to anyone interested in an overview.  I have included
URL's for each company making announcements so that you can get more
information on your own.

The hot product topic for the show was the Web.  Every vendor wanted to
prove that they were Web-Ready, and that they could brew JAVA with the
best of them.  I had the chance to see quite a few new offerings, and
see just how NOT ready for prime time they were.  But they are coming
along very quickly.

Sadly, HP continues to pretend that the HP3000 and MPE/iX either does
not exist, or shortly will not exist.  Not only do they not waste the
$0.02 worth of ink to at least list MPE as being DCE available, they
emphasize how well DCE/9000 interoperates with leading competitors.
What a more powerful statement to have said that ALL of HP's operating
systems are DCE enabled, and interoperate well with the DCE world.

Talk about self-fulfilling prophecies.  If HP is too embarrassed
(it's a legacy system, don't ya' know) to even mention MPE at a conference
attended significantly by Fortune 100 companies (and substantially by F-500)
who probably still own one or two of these ancient relics, what a surprise
it WON'T be when they regretfully announce that there is not enough interest
in continuing the line.

Sigh.  Anyway, send me a note if you would like the summary.

weh

Wayne E. Holt                                        206-463-3030 (Voice)
Software Research Northwest, Inc.                    206-463-9393   (FAX)
[log in to unmask]                                          206-463-3555   (BBS)