HP3000-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 00:52:24 EST
On Sat, 2 Mar 1996 21:12:00 P Ken Sletten b894 c332 x62525 said:
>>A caveat of using user volumes - when you backup, be sure you store the
>>directories on the private volumes.  While a store @[log in to unmask]@;;directory will
>>save the system directory and all files, it won't save user volume dirs.
>>You must use the onvs=mpexl_system_volume_set,userset1,userset2... option.
>
>Thank you Jeff, for pointing out a detail that I bet a
>lot of people now running user volumes may have
>missed.....  Including us....    ARRGGGHHHH !!
>
>Confess I thought  ;DIRECTORY  stored *all* the
>directories as the default (still seems to me that
>should in fact be the default).  But sure enough,
>438 lines down in the 773 lines of online HELP on
>STORE, it does indeed say what Jeff said.

Welcome to the club :-)  But I must admit I'm still a bit confused over just
what information would be "lost" if you hadn't stored the user volume dirs.
You can restore with the ";CREATE" option and it will happily build the
directories.  You have your system volset copies, and from my understanding,
most of the crucial information (group security, etc) are kept there anyway.
I think the only user volset directory attribute is the files= limit.  The
other things come from the system directory (others may feel free to correct
me if I'm wrong) so it isn't *that* big a deal.  But I also seem to recall
if you restore @[log in to unmask]@, it may not create those directories if they don't
exist, and instead place the files on the system volset (my memory is foggy,
but we got bit once by something along these lines).  If you do a :restore
with the VOLSET= combined with ;CREATE it does create directory entries, but
in this case you must customize the restore to only include files that belong
on this volset.  Yes indeed, that does seem to ring a bell now.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>