HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 06:05:06 -0800
Denys Beauchemin wrote:

> It's pronounced in three syllables, thus:   Beau like Bo Derek;  che almost
> like Che'vrolet; the last one is a toughy because there is no English
> equivalent: min like main but without the long n at the end, it's a very
> short sound.

As one from the south who learned Denys' name, let me butcher it for you;)
The first name is *not* Dennis or Denise.  It is Da' knee (with a short a).
The 's' is silent (I guess something to do which that French stuff:).

The last name, as Denys has pointed out, is tough.  I like the Bo Derek
part 8-).  I always thought of the 'che' more like a soft 'scha', again
with the short a.  The 'min' is easy (rememer your French, "add any
letter you like on the end, just *never* pronounce it.").  Remove the
'n' and pronounce the 'i' as a long 'a':  ma  (not ma, as in "Hey, ma,
would you get pa and come help me."), but ma (as in May, without the
'y').  So, in the end you have:

   Da' knee    Bo scha' ma

Larry "butcher of Denys name for years now" Boyd