HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:55:35 -0600
Stan writes:

>My feeling is that if MPE is going to be on future 9000/8xx hardware,
>you *must* start leveraging drivers ... and this is the best opportunity
>to start doing that!

Exactly, Stan. We know HP wants to integrate MPE with 9000 hardware. At
least there's some market, however small today, willing to buy the first
efforts at that.

HP is a profit-driven company. Engineering a developer's MPE workstation
appears to be a project that doesn't have an internal champion. And it's
gotten a reputation already as something that's expensive, with uncertain
profits.

Let me propose a champion, well-suited for the task: Harry Sterling. An HP
employee whose last 10 years have been spent in MPE development. He just
happens to be the divison GM now. Here's where the customer base can get a
lift from that promotion. You'd have a much harder time explaining the
value of such a development station to a GM whose background was marketing,
or who didn't know MPE's strengths so well.

HP has made a policy of starting no development without some promise of
sales. This list has customers who would buy the product if it was ready
tomorrow. CSY faces an important challenge of getting more applications
written for the 3000. The choice: pursue profit or demonstrate faith in the
3000's future to a developer base that needs this kind of sign.

Ron Seybold, Editor In Chief
The 3000 News/Wire
Independent Information to Maximize Your HP3000
512-331-0075