HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 07:01:03 -0800
Stan Sieler wrote:

> Larry writes:
>
> > You may rightfully disagree with the decisions CSY makes, but the basis
> > for the decisions are always customers first.
>
> Sorry Larry,
>
> But CSY puts dollars first, along with the rest of HP.  Check the
> HP corporate goals...profit comes first, then customers.  It's been that
> way officially since about September, 1983.  (Beyond RISC! page 5,
> researched at the HP Corporate Library.)
I can't comment on corporate, and "always" is a somewhat strong statement;)
(Yes, I was in Boston).  So, I will restate my sentence to "... the
basis for the decisions generally put the customers first."  (I know Stan
will still probably disagree with this:)  Most of the things that users
complain about hpux is because easy (regardless of customers) decisions
are made.  Could you imagine the hpux division(s) providing a CM
capability?

Old customers are not profit to CSY (we all know support goes to other
divisions), unless they upgrade.  If I purchased $100,000 worth of 3000
equipment 5 years ago, thats all CSY saw of it.  The additional
$100,000 I'd spent over the 5 years for support have nothing to do with
CSY (except the one+ year IMAGE/SQL deal that CSY requested and the
support folks weren't too happy about as I remember).  So, when CSY
makes a decision to provide CM on 900 series, it's for the long term
profit of CSY by putting the customer first.

Before coming to HP, I do recall sometimes completely disagreeing
with the decisions and sometimes it taking a while to convince them that
the decision is the right one.  "Generally", however, we have a lot
of nice features available because as customers we requested them, and
the are many, many 10+ year customers becuase they are "generally"
happy with the decisions by CSY.  Were all decisions good?  No.  Are
all customers happy?  No.  Did I feel jolted sometimes?  Yes.

Of course you can disagree with my opinion, since they are mine;)

Larry Boyd    <[log in to unmask]>
"Each problem solved creates the opportunity to solve the next problem
          that the last solution created." - Richard Pascale
(These opinions are my own and not those of Hewlett-Packard.)