HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

From:
Netnews Server <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 02:44:38 GMT
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>     What is the percentage of Response Centre resources
>>     devoted to MPE problems vs UNIX problems?

Before one can answer this question, one has to ask, which Response Center
are you referencing? Each country has its own RC. In some countries, UNIX
has not caught on like it has here or in the U.K.

But lets talk about the U.S. The RC in Mountain View, and Atlanta for that
matter, cross trains their Response Center Engrs (RCEs), a.k.a. resources.
So you can get the same person for an MPE question as well as a UNIX question.
The RC, as well as the Database Expert Centers, have made a committment to
train the engrs on UNIX. Because most are long time MPEers, there is more
proficiency in MPE. However, we have also had team memebers who knew nothing
of MPE. They were pure UNIX people. So it really depends on what HP customers
are doing. If everyone decided to take up square dancing, then we would most
likely get trained on that ALSO, in order to do customer support.

So, if you are looking to see if the MPE vs. UNIX balance in the RC favors
UNIX, the answer is no. Is there a need for MPE support people to learn UNIX?
Yes, because that what HP's customers are demanding.

As far as the cost of a UNIX call vs. an MPE call, I don't know. I would not
think they should be much different. If one takes a person who is well schooled
in UNIX and one who is well schooled in MPE, they should be able to resolve
the problem for approximatley the same cost, given the problems are similar.

Best regards,
Steve Patrick
HP Database Expert Center