HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 06:12:47 -0700
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]> said:

(Actually, even before quoting Larry, let me CONGRATULATE him for his new
HP-official e-mail address!    Hurray, Larry!)

>The first is OS (often confused with HW).  The OS chosen normally
>chooses the hardware also, but in the case of HPPA and #86 chips you
>have multiple OSs available on the same hardware.

I would hate to pin Larry down, now that he's an integral part of the
hallowed crowd.  But I can't resist studying his casual reference to the
fact that "in the case of HPPA and #86 chips you have multiple OSs
available on the same hardware".

Hmmm...   My computerized text-analysis system (anonymously transferred via
FTP from my friends from Langley, Virginia,... just another example of the
many secret collaborators I have), after hours of number & text crunching,
has unequivocally detected that Larry used the meaning-laden word
"multiple" in his writing.  The only operating system that PROUDLY has had
(from its inception) the crucial word "multiple" in its name is
Hewlett-Packard's MPE (Multiple Programming Executive).  Now I see Larry's
covert function within HP.  He's in charge of subtly spreading the word now
that HP has become fully aware that they were there among the first with
the concept of "multiple".   HP wants to fully exploit this early advantage
with MPE and doesn't want to squander THIS golden opportunity before the
Unix crowd morphs the name "Unix" into the name "Multics" (with apologies
to the born-yesterday crowd).

Multiply yours,

|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, Theoretical Group    Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.