HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:24:03 -0800
Intesting discussions vis-a-vis HP recently. What a gas to read all the
interesting stuff.

MHO:

1. If the development cost of a low-end system is really that expensive then
lets get HP to re-evaluate their strategy for pricing/sizing of development
systems. The pa-risc developers programs offers attractive discounts, but
basing this on the 928 makes it still too high. I would suggest they look
into these alternatives:

-- allow the 918 to be purchased as a development system at this discount
-- sell all systems for cost (hw/sw)
-- allow a set of loner systems to be placed at developer shops for little
cost. the rental program costs are still too high.

or
-- allocate a pot of money for attracting developers by 'giving it away'
(almost). offset the developer price vs cost with this budget.

2. Are we missing the point about the HP marketing strategy regarding the
3k? After thinking about this, this is what my mind is thinking these days:

-- HP is committed to the 3k, but views it as another option that will
probably be interoperating with unix/nt in the same shop.

-- 3k sales are for new systems/upgrades for existing installed customers
and new customer sales through the vab/var channel.

-- by effectively removing the field sales force from doing 3k business in
the low-mid dollar range they have no presence for new business unless it
comes from a vab/var.

-- given the media and industry focus on unix/nt these days I doubt if
anyone would buy a 3k,vax,etc. system unless they *need the system*. How do
they know they need the system? Their sw vendor requires it or they already
have one.

-- however, the major vendors like sap are probably not going to port to the
3k unless they see a big market.

-- no amount of 3k marketing (print/tv/etc) is going to improve the sales
volume. There are no hp sales reps pounding the pavement trying to convince
businesses to buy a 3k. I believe hp knows/understands this - thats why they
don't advertise much.

-- I think they have figured it out, but their strategy is flawed in that
they need to offer more incentives to attract developers. And they need to
position the 3k as a good networked business computer.

3. I would like to see the 3k get some of the following technology:

-- object cobol
-- other object oriented languages (c++, etc.)
-- orb+ ported to the 3k
-- high level interfaces to posix land so that cobol/pascal/etc developers
don't have to migrate to 'c'
-- added networking functionality like dns

4. It would be nice if image/sql were ported to ux. csy keeps saying they
endeavor to keep our 3k investments secure. the hw/sw costs of a 3k system
are peanuts compared to the acquired knowledge. if they migrate image/sql to
ux so that existing 3k shops can migrate their knowledge they have
definitely endeavored to protect such investments.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Duane Percox  (QSS)
[log in to unmask] (415-306-1608, fax 415-365-2706)
http://www.aimnet.com/~qssnet/
 ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/qssnet/
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." -- Linus Pauling