HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:20:00 -0500
On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Bruce Toback wrote:

> You can easily meet this requirement by shopping in the used market. A 925
> system with this hardware set should be about $6,000. It's not as "cute" as
> a workstation, but it certainly does the job. Finding the necessary
> software licences for development software may be a bit harder, but it's
> still fairly cheap.

  A 925 is still rather big and boxy.  Why would it be too difficult for
HP to
make a pizzabox with a single low power PA-RISC processor (lets
say 80MHz?), throw in a 1.6 GB internal SCSI drive, an Ethernet and/or
ISDN port, external CDROM drive, and a boot rom that will allow both
MPE/iX and HP/UX on the same system (even if on 2 different phyiscal
drives as opposed to different partitions)?  This cannot be too
unreasonable.  Give it an XTerm console, and voila.. nice nifty little
dual bootable UX and MPE machine.

  Oh, and make it 100% compatible (except for perhaps kernel
architectures) with the bigger brothers of the HP community.  I take it
speed and critical performance will not be so key on such a system, so it
may be possible to cut corners on certain items thus driving price and
size down.

Daniel Kosack  -- pale boy with no social life --

   People tell me that big yellow ball in the sky is called the Sun... I
just tell them my SPARCstation has a 110MHz processor and that's a Sun
too...