HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
"James R. Alton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:07:11 +0000
[--- vast amounts of wisdom edited ---]

> I have mentioned a couple of samples regarding the good work that I know.
> I'm sure there are many others out there doing creative applications on the
> HP3000.  Don't be shy!  Please share your good work so all of us can learn
> from you.  The more we see, the better our vision will be  :-)

 I always enjoy reading submissions from Alfredo.  I think the future
for the 3000 is bright mostly becuase there are some amazing people
who believe in the 3000.

 Now that a "Posix" compliant interface is available, and the 3000
world has taken notice of Unix it's just a matter of time before all
the wonders of the Unix world are available to the 3000.  And, I
think this will happen without a loss of the strengths of the 3000
and without the direct involvement of Hewlett-Packard.

 Unix is, in no small part, successful because of the Internet and
the sharing of code, ideas, and troubles that the Internet allows.
Forums such as this one are bringing the same effect to the 3000.  As
we all share ideas, code and troubles a wealth of knowledge is
spread.  New (free) programs are offered up, and the abilities of the
3000 are expanded.

 How long has this list been going?  How long have the Unix lists
been going?  Give it some time... I think we are on the verge of
seeing a lot of new products for the 3000, some free, some not, that
will all have a Unix flavour (U.S. flavor) to them.

 But what do I know.

Jim
#include <disclaim.h>
#define TRASH 1
James R. Alton                              phone: (905) 389-6036
Senior Project Consultant                   email: [log in to unmask]
Fioravanti-Redwood, Inc.                    fax  : (905) 276-8956
Toronto, Chicago, Denver, Cleveland         www  : www.FRInc.com
Information Technology: Professional Services and Consulting