HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Bill Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 18:54:14 GMT
Jeff Dowsley ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: > [log in to unmask] wrote:
: > : Ken wrote:
: > : > ECS.MK46:file foo,new;dev=disk
: > : >
: > : > Unknown device class. (CIERR 344)
: >
: >etc.

: As a speaker of fluent Oz, "disc" was the only spelling used as I grew up
post
:  WWII.  When disk
: appeared in publications (originally referring to vinyl records (remember
:  them?)) we assumed it was
: Americans revising English as per the advertising houses ie night became
nite,
:  bright became brite.

I believe the source of the word "disk" is as a shortened form of
"diskette". Originally, it applied only to 8" floppies and the spawns
thereof.

I seem to recall (though I may be wrong) that the IBM mainframe world still
uses "disc". The near-universal use of the word "disk" to refer to all
types of rotational, flat, round data storage devices comes from the
PC world - yet another evil that they must answer for!

- Bill
--
Bill Sutton                        ++       So many songs,
   ([log in to unmask])        ++       So little beer.

HP pays me to talk about datacomm. Everything else I do on my own.