HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:08:51 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Mike E. Farrell"
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>I need information about how to make Virtual Terminal connections work. Here
>is what we have:
>
>HP3000
>------------
>1 - HP3000/947 running MPEiX 5.0 Version 3 Powerpatched
>4 - 48 port DTC's connected by ThinLan
>
>LAN
>-------------
>HP NetServer
>Novell Netware 4.1
>Ethernet 10-Base-T connections
>
>Terminal Emulations
>------------------------------
>Reflections for Windows version 4.2 (all are currently direct connects to the
>DTC's)
>
>What I'm looking for is a step by step recipe of  how to connect the 3000 to
>the LAN.

But, he thinks we should be able to make the connection
>between the 3000 and the LAN by running a ThinLan (Coax) cable from the
>T-connector coming out of the 3000 to a connection on the front of one of our
>HP Advancestack Hubs. Sounds legit to me.

Yes, you basically have it. You will need some IP addresses: one to
assign to the LAN card in the 3000, and another one for EACH PC you
want to log on with. You'll have to do a little work with NMMGR,
but the manual and your SE can guide you through it better than me.

You can use the same ThinLan cable your DTC is on to connect the 3000
to the network. DTC and IP traffic can coexist on the same cable.

Good luck!