HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
hans fohrman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
hans fohrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 18:07:06 GMT
Hi. This answer is not a official HP answer even if I am a HP employer.

To connect your PC's and your 3000 together I will surgest some steps.

1. You are today running Novell on your clients (pc's) . Novell uses
normaly IPX and hp3000 uses TCP/IP. So first you must have i IP address
range . Where you can have that I don't know because I do not live i US
and here there is a university who handles that.
This will give te HP3000 and all pc's a unique address so when (if)
connecting to internet you will not have the same address as any other.
Normaly you will have a range of 256 - 2 addresses.

2. You must install TCP/IP on your pc's. You today have reflection on
pc's so I think that WRQ RNS (also known as 3000 connection for windows)
will be best. This is not a free product. Talk to WRQ. But the price is
nearly as high as reflection it self.
If your pc's are running windows 95 I belewe that WRQ produkt NS/Open
will be enough.

3. Connect the lans together. I think that your way sounds good. But to
be sure I must se it.

4. Configure TCP/IP at your 3000. How to do that is described in the
manual "HP3000/iX Network Planing and configutation guide"
This is a long description so its not easy to put here.
Also you have to stream jconfjob.net.sys

5. Startup the network at the hp3000.
   Normaly
   NETCONTROL START;net=LAN1
   NETCONTROL START;net=loop
   NSCONTROL START

I hope that this will give you some hints. If you need more help I am
sure that HP near you can help to get everything running.

regards.

Hans Fohrman
HP Sweden