HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 22:43:05 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Andy Lin) says:

>The HP9000 in my company is running out of RAM space, When we open up the
case,
>we found that it is using 72pin SIMM RAM module. so we trying to put in some
>other non-HP SIMM module into the machine (because the original HP module is
>very expensive), but it won't boot. We then try putting the HP module into
>a pentinum machine, it won't boot neither.
>Is there anyone can tell me the different between HP RAM SIMM module and PC
>SIMM module.

I don't know what the differences are, but you can't swap memory
SIMMS like that. Fortunately for you, HP is running
a big promotion on mempory, because the third-party vendors are
killing them in the open market. Call HP Direct at 1-800-637-7740 and
ask about the memory promo. You will be directed to call another #
(which I can't remember or I'd give it to you now) where you can get
a price quote. From what I remember, memory for most 3000 and 9000
systems is $42/MB, which is about what PC memory costs right now.

Plus your memory will be under support. If you used PC-style memory,
then anytime you called HP with a problem you would have to show that
you could reproduce the problem with only the HP memory in there.