HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:56:55 -0800
Stan and I just did an experiment with our 700X terminal and a
917LX running 5.0.  Using Quest's NFS/iX Server product's TFTPD
support we were able to get the X terminal to boot off of the 3000.
We were then able to start up a 'local' mwm window manager (the
code runs on the X terminal, but is downloaded from the 3000).
All the fonts and other resources were automatically downloaded
from the 3000 as needed using TFTP.  To get the files required onto
the 3000 in the first place, we simply tarred up /usr/lib/X11/700X
from an HP-UX system and untarred the files into the same location
on the 3000.

In addition to the 'local' mwm, the X terminal software includes
'local' versions of other programs, including xterm and hpterm.
The xterm and hpterm come with built-in connection software that
can talk telnet, rlogin, or to the serial port on the back of the
X terminal.  Unfortunately there is no hpterm with vt, so until
the 3000 supports inbound telnet, there is no way to log in to
the 3000 directly (we were able to use the local hpterm-telnet
to log into a unix system and then vt3k to the 3000 without any
problems).

We were also able to start an X client program on the 3000 (The
Pizza program of course) and direct the display to come up on the
X terminal with :SETVAR DISPLAY "xterm:0".

So if you can get TFTPD for your 3000 from somewhere, it's
possible to have fairly complete X terminal support with only
the HP3000.  The lack of a way to get a terminal connection
directly to the 3000 would be a serious limitation for most
people though, but inbound telnet support will solve this soon.

G.