HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 08:46:49 CST

> Pete,
>
> I would agree except:
>
> 1.      This job is the only active process on the system
> besides the OS itself.
>
> 2.      Ejecting the DAT and putting a new one in has often
> caused the job to start normally. (I can't say always but it may
> be the case)
>
> These two items have focused my suspicions on the HP1511A unit.
> --
> James B. Byrne                  mailto:[log in to unmask]
> Harte & Lyne Limited            http://www.harte-lyne.ca
> Hamilton, Ontario               905-561-1241

James,
I believe we, too, may have experienced something similar, but in our
case it has been very irregular. When out backup job gets to doing the
store command, in some cases if it cannot open the tape drive it hangs.
We can usually abortjob it and go on. In a couple of cases, the tape
drive lights reported that the tape was write protected, but the tape
appeared to not be write protected. In other cases, we have no explanation
and the tape worked ok in further testing. This happened under 4.0 and
under 5.0, with long periods of everything going fine. We have not
reported this to the RC, since the problem was so seldom and there was
so little evidence after aborting the job. BTW we use autoreply on the
tape drives (2 DAT drives, used sequentially, but store insists on opening
both drives successfully before writing to either).

By the way, on the missing $stdlist, you might check to be sure the job
doesn't set it to be deleted by the command "!set stdlist=delete" at the to
of the job? If so, move the command to the last thing in the job, or take it
out and delete the $stdlist manually until this problem is resolved.

r.g.
--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]