HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 5

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:17:00 S
John

Our drives came with a loose-leaf insert.

Seems that switch 3 on the bottom of the drive is the MRS (Media
recognition System) override switch.

ON = MRS enabled. Non MRS tapes treated as though write protected
OFF = MRS disabled. Non MRS tapes treated as though write enabled.

The only differemce I can see in the media is that old DATS have only one
tiny indent in the side of the flap cpvering the tape, and newer DATS
have two. Also I think the case at the bottom has a subtle difference.

I don't know what the implications of the override are.

Also, Switch 1 and 2 control the compression defaults and enabling
capabilities. But I'm not exactly sure how.

Neil