HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:34:29 -0800
Larry writes:
> Stan Sieler ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
> [...]
> : As did HP, as shown by examing the corporate goals now vs. at the start,
> : and in the often commented-on demise of the "HP way".  (In 9/1983 "Hewlett-
> : Packard Statement of Corporate Objectives", Profit moved to #1,
> : Customers dropped from #1 to #2.)
>
> For as long as I've been with HP (and that goes back to 1969), Profit has
> been the #1 Corporate Objective, for (from memory) it is through Profit
> that we (HP) realize all our other Objectives.
>
> -Larry "what! me a historian?" Byler-
                     ^^^^^^^^^ no :)

Steve Cooper researched the HP archives, at HP Corporate, when we were
writing "Beyond RISC!".  He found various copies of the corporate objectives,
dating from the 40s or so ... they started out with Customers being #1, and
Profit #2 ... up until about 9/1983, when Profit usurped Customers.

However, Larry's recollections mesh well with what the user community sees
in many ways: upper management putting profit before customers, and engineers
trying to put customers first.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html