HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 5

From:
"James R. Alton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James R. Alton
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 09:48:29 -0500
On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Stan Sieler wrote:

> James writes:
> >  If I put the system() call prior to the DBOPEN it works fine.  I
> > tried putting the system() call after the appropriate DBCLOSE without
> > success, same error codes.
>
> My guess: system() is checking that the process is "clean" for possible
> use of fork() ... which requires (I think) that the process not have
> any resources that wouldn't be forkable: outstanding switches to CM,
> IMAGE databases, and (probably) some CM managed files (CM KSAM,
> or RIO files).

 Gee... big shock... Stan was right.  I ended up using a call to
HPCICOMMAND and it works like a charm.  Who needed it to be portable
anyway???

 Thanks again Stan... the help is much appreciated.  The result will be a
Web oriented, shareware product for the HP3000 family.  I should have it
ready for release in a month or so.

Jim