HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 5

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:32:35 -0700
At  9:04 PM 1/29/96 -0500, Jeff Kell wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:59:05 GMT Jon Cohen said:
>>Christopher Hart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>I find it both refreshing, and a commitment on the part of HP to play an
>>>active role in this support line.
>>
>>Christopher,  thanks for the kind words.  We at CSY are commited
>>to remaining as close to our customers as possible -- we are here
>>for you!  But I must admit that responding to some of the
>>challenges here can be a little intimidating, and your encouragement
>>goes a long way in helping us feel comfortable interacting with the
>>group.
>
>>this is a rather unique closely-nit group we have here...

Er, Jeff, I happen to know that I am not a member of ANY "closely-nit"
group. With two kids in preschool, we check for nits EVERY WEEK!

Christopher's note of thanks for the encouragement of the group reminded me
of an incident around 1990 or 1991 when I happened to be standing by the
desk of the person in CSY who coordinated software releases at the time. I
asked if she coordinated both MPE/V and MPE XL. She said yes, and added "We
even did MPE V/R." To which another engineer nearby said, "We never heard
anything from the field about that. It was a lot of work; I wonder if
anybody ever used it." It's a lot easier to stay enthusiastic about your
work if you can talk to people who are using it; I think that's one of the
best things about having this list/newsgroup.

(MPE V/R was the last release of software for the earliest successful HP
3000 computers, the Series II and Series III.)

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                 |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay