HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 5

From:
Leslie-Anne Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie-Anne Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 17:54:53 GMT
Gilles <[log in to unmask]> has forwarded on a copy of Guy Smith's post
(dated Tue May  9 13:24:02 1995).  Thank you, Gilles.

>The question is: If we had known about the  "READ BEFORE INSTALLING - page
>4"  back  in May of last year, would we have been able to avoid the problem
>described below?

The short answer is NO. The "Read Before Installing" document helps users
to avoid two potential issues with migrating from ALLBASE F.0 to G.0/G.1,
but it does not cover this third problem.  This was an oversight on HP's
part.  For the benefit of those of you who are still on F.0, let me add the
following instructions:

While you are still on F.0 (MPE/iX 4.0), check to see that you don't
have any missing DBEFiles (that is, a file that exists in SYSTEM.DBEFILE
but does not physically exist on your system).  The files that seem to
be especially problematic (because these don't cause any problems on F.0,
they only cause problems during the migration) are ones that have been
CREATEd, but have not been ADDed to any DBEFileSet.

The easiest way to check for missing DBEFiles while you are still on 4.0
is to obtain ALLBASE F0.71 or later (which contains an enhanced version of
the SQLCHECK utility).  SQLCHECK was completely rewritten for G.0, and a
backported version was made available on F0.71.  On G.0, SQLCHECK lives in
PUB.SYS, but back on F.0, SQLCHECK lives in PRVXL.TELESUP.

The CHECK DBEFILE command checks every file in the system catalog (i.e.
SYSTEM.DBEFILE) and checks to make sure that it physically exists on
the system.  If it does not, an error is returned.  SQLCHECK also
tells you if a DBEFile has been CREATEd, but not ADDed (which is just
wasting disc space).

  :SQLCHECK.PRVXL.TELESUP

  sqlcheck>> access 'tstdbe';
  sqlcheck>> check dbefile;
  SUMMARY OF TESTS TO BE PERFORMED IN SINGLE-USER MODE:
     Check on ALLBASE/SQL system catalog for thread consistency.
     DBEFILE check that all DBEFiles physically exist on the system.

  Do you want to continue? ([YES],NO) yes

  ------ STARTING SINGLE-USER MODE TESTS ------ MON, JAN 29, 1996, 10:20 AM

  --------------------------------------------- MON, JAN 29, 1996, 10:20 AM
  Performing check on ALLBASE/SQL system catalog for thread consistency
      Checking table: HPRDBSS.TABLE
      Checking table: HPRDBSS.SECTION
      Checking table: HPRDBSS.TABAUTH
      Checking table: HPRDBSS.CONSTRAINT
      Checking table: HPRDBSS.PROCEDURE
      Checking table: HPRDBSS.RULE

  --------------------------------------------- MON, JAN 29, 1996, 10:20 AM
  Performing DBEFILE checking
      13 file(s) will be examined.

      Checking file:  1) TSTCHK31
      Checking file:  2) TSTDBEF
      Checking file:  3) TSTCHK1
         File has not been added to any DBEFileSet.  (CKWARN 51)
      Checking file:  4) TSTCHK21
      Checking file:  5) TSTCHK45
      Checking file:  6) TSTCHK46
      Checking file:  7) TSTCHK41
      Checking file:  8) TSTCHK42
      Checking file:  9) TSTCHK11
         Cannot open file. (CKERR 41, 3)
  The file does not exist in specified domain; the file was not found.  (FILE
  OPEN ERROR -247)
  File System message 247

      Checking file: 10) TSTCHK12
      Checking file: 11) TSTCHK13
      Checking file: 12) TSTCHK43
      Checking file: 13) TSTCHK44

  0 error(s) detected.
  1 warning(s) detected.
  --------------------------------------------- MON, JAN 29, 1996, 10:20 AM
  sqlcheck>> exit;

Hope this helps,
Leslie-Anne
HP Database Lab
Leslie-Anne Bain
Hewlett-Packard Company                          Voice:  408/447-0666
19447 Pruneridge Ave, MS 47UX                    FAX:    408/447-7902
Cupertino, CA  95014-9913                        E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

The thoughts expressed here are my own, and may not reflect the opinions of
my employer.