HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 15:09:26 -0800
Jeff writes:
> I like it.  Now, for extra credit, how about a DBCONTROL that attempts a
> DDX expansion without actually putting a record?  Perhaps overkill, but
> seems useful for a "capacity-paranoid" application.

Hmmm. What about a DBCONTROL option where you tell it a SET and the number
of entries you would like to put in that set, and it checks to see if that
many entries are available, and if not it will *try* to expand to make room,
and then return whether or not there is room.  This would be the most
accurate way of doing what the application is really trying to do.  It
takes in to account whether or not the dataset has DDX enabled (thus fixing
the current 202/205 dbinfo issue for this problem) and also the possibility
that even though DDX is enabled, there might be a problem (like disk space)
that would prevent Image from living up to the capacity reported by dbinfo
mode 205 (or mode 202 with CAPREPORT=MAX).

I still think the DBUTIL CAPREPORT= option should be done to fix Query
and some of the other issues, but for the case where an application wants
to be sure there is room for 'n' entries, something like the above
DBCONTROL option is the only complete solution.

A DBCONTROL that simply says EXPAND NOW would require that the user
implement the rest of the logic themselves, which is pretty complex
as it would have to take into account the possibility that multiple
EXPAND calls might be required, etc.

Of course DBCONTROL only has the QUALIFIER parameter available for
passing in parameters, so giving it a SET name/number AND a numeric
number of entries would be a bit messy.

G.