HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 4

From:
Kriss Rant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kriss Rant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 19:38:28 GMT
Below are the results from the market research I did
on CD-ROM Drives and the HP 3000.  HP will use this input in its
future MPE/iX planning cycle.

I asked the following 3 questions to better understand how customers
are using CD-ROM technology with their HP 3000:

>For customers who currently have a CD-ROM drive(s) attached
>to your HP 3000 I am interested in learning what you are
>using them for.  What would you like to use them for?

>For customers who do NOT have a CD-ROM drive(s) attached to
>your HP 3000 do you see any future benefit that would lead
>you to use this technology?  If so, what would that be?

>I am interested in learning how customers who receive their
>MPE/iX documentation on CD are reading this documentation.
>Which technologies are you using?

I discovered the following key trends:

1) Most customers appear not to be using the HP CD Extensions for MPE/iX
   because of its incompatibility with Windows.  The CD Extensions enables
   PC clients to share a CD-ROM Drive mounted on the HP 3000 for reading
   MPE/iX documentation, etc.

2) Most customers appear to have their CD-ROM Drives mounted sharable
   on an Intel-based PC Server.  Jim Wowchuk commented, " I can't see
   much benefit as centralized server support to PC clients, given the cost,
   features and availability of smaller PC-based servers."

3) Customers are running Novell, NT, WFW, or OS/2 on their PC Servers.

Thanks for all your input on behalf of HP.

Best regards, Kriss Rant / CSY Marketing / [log in to unmask]