HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:33:05 CST
On Wed, 24 Jan 1996 16:55:30 GMT, [log in to unmask] (Felix Agel) wrote:
|Which DAT-Autoloader-drive would You recommend ? HP doesn4t offer any
|autoloader-drive for HP3000/MPE 5.0. I have heard that OEMs offer
|those  DAT-drives ?!
|Thanks for Your help !
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//~~~~
|Felix Agel:
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//~~~~

While I don't claim to have performed exhaustive testing on autoloaders for
MPE, I was pleased with the performance and behavior of the HP C1560B DDS-2
autoloader.  (The front panel says: HP 6400 48AL, but other drives from HP
also have the same front panel designation.  Perhaps someday someone sane
will regain control of product numbers at HP.)

The C1560B is a 6 tape DDS-2 autoloader.  Each tape [assuming DDS-2 (120m)
media] can hold 4GB native plus whatever data compression (supported by the
drive, but effective only if the data isn't compressed in software) provides.
Four-to-one compression ratios are not uncommon for MPE databases.  So it's
conceivable that you may get 16GB of raw data on each tape.  If all 6 tapes
hold 16GB, then that provides 96GB of storage which can be serially accessed
in an unattended mode.

/* Disclaimer and (likely-to-be-perceived-as) Plug:
My tests were mainly performed using RoadRunner, Unison's high performance
backup software for MPE and various Unix platforms.  I haven't conducted
any tests with HP's STORE or other backup products on this drive.

Also, I'm paid by Unison to be a Software Engineer, not a spokesman.
This isn't an official endorsement, just a personal recommendation.
As usual: Free advice is sometimes worth what you pay for it and "YMMV".
*/
--
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]> [PGP key available]
Women and cats will do as they please. And men and dogs should relax