HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:45:21 -0500
In a message dated 96-01-23 20:11:01 EST, [log in to unmask]
(<Elbert E Silbaugh>) writes:

>(A 1) Our app has up to 6 databases. Total of more than 150 data sets.
>Many moons ago (1980s) some ares of our code were made smarter to
>determine amount of available unused space in a data set. This so
>we did not end up with an incomplete transaction was was
>considered very important (critical) to future well being of the
>application. Due to many things, this was not implemented
>every place a DBPUT was gonna happen (on every data set).
>Works real fine.
>
>Now comes well intentioned DDX. I turn it on. But now it is
>really only effective for the LESS CRITICAL data sets because
>I don't have code (written years ago) to try to figure out if
>I have room before I DBPUT. In this case, DDX works great.
>However, now my 'smart' code on the critical DBPUTs does not
>do anything -- in fact, it is detrimental to the application.
>
>So, why don't I change all those places in code and yank out
>the now useless DBINFO calls?
>Priorities. It sort of works. I can use DBGENERAL to manage the rest.
>It has been working for 12 years +/-. No additional effort on my part.
>For the same reason HP doesn't fix their software.
>Too many (code) places to change, so little time.
>
>Others on this list can attest to the downsizing of the
>application support in this company.
>
>(Q 2) I thought it was resolved in last years thread on this
>      subject.
>
>Patiently,
>
>Elbert
>
>p.s. Is 'Spring' what it feels like down there, or what you wished
>     it felt like?

Elbert, this is (finally) the best example of the situtation and it comes at
a most opportune time.  Tell me, why do I feel like a dentist?

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

P.S. Spring is what it feels like right now.  A high of 70F. (22C.), Sunshine
and an overnight low of 40F. (5C.)  This is the most beautiful time of the
year in South Texas.