HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 4

From:
"Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rudderow, Evan
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 08:10:00 EST
I'd like to thank all of those who replied to my post about the MISSING USER
PASSWORD (DBERR 35407) that I've been experiencing.

Denis Brasfield <[log in to unmask]> replied:

>Don't know if this is the same problem, but did you upgrade your
>version of Allbase recently?  If I remember correctly there was a
>problem with G0.xx versions of Allbase not supporting MPE passwords.
>Same error message that you are getting.  It was fixed in version G1.

And, in fact, that was substantially confirmed by Kelly Hamill at the
Response Center.  What was odd is that it worked from some PCs and not from
others.  Based on my conversation with Kelly I got the impression that the
problem arises because of the interaction of Allbase G0 and the Allbase G0
ODBC driver; in fact I tried using the F0.20 ODBC driver and found no
problem.

Daniel Dumas  wrote:

>We have encounter the same situation, and it was after we implement the
>MPE/iX 5.0 express patch #3. This upgraded our Allbase to version G01.
>
>The only solution we found, was to reconfigure every ODBC client station
and
>to enter the required password.  By the way these password are then
available
>to the user, so new security on the user/account may be require at the HP
>level.

That's interesting, because the Response Center stated that the problem was
fixed in the G1 version...  Perhaps Daniel should check the version of his
ODBC driver, or perhaps he knows more about this than the RC and should give
them a call?

Finally, Jeff Kell wrote:

>Depending on the version of ODBC...
>
>If you have user/account passwords, *omit* them from the PC logon string.
>If you have no user/account passwords, *supply* and invalid one on the PC.
>
>Believe it or not... security is backwards on that release.

I've not tried that, but I have no reason to dispute Jeff; it sure makes me
feel lucky that we're not using ODBC in production yet -- I'd surely love to
explain that kind of consistency to the user community...

Once again, many thanks.

 -- Evan