HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 4

From:
Gary Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 18:07:36 GMT
I have a 937 running 5.0 which is used for a canned HMO application.  The
application uses a master file to validate line items on claims.  This
master file is an Image master dataset and contains all of the possible
combinations of valid line items for all possible policies with all
possible riders.  It is updated monthly.  The software was designed for a
small number of policies and large number of riders which would expand
into at most 100,000 records in the master dataset.  Unfortunately, our
company decided to use a separate policy for each of its major customers
instead of using riders so the dataset has 1.4 million records in it and
will increase by about 50% yearly.  Every line item on every claim that
is adjudicated must be validated against the master online at the time of
entry.  So my performance is bad and getting worse.

I remember there used to be a product on the Classic HP3000s called Ram
Disc by Kelley Computers which would allow you to configure a memory card
as a disc drive so that you could keep a cross-reference dataset like my
huge master in memory at all times.  Is there such a thing for the MPE/iX
HP3000 or does anyone know of another way that I can keep this file in
memory...Gary