HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:59:44 -0800
Hi Gopi,

>      But, normally PRINT replaces the CCTL byte (1st byte) in the CCTL
>      file with a space.  Should this still be done when RAW is specified?

Good question!

I'd suggest that a family of options exist for controlling the action
of PRINT:

     numbered / unn
     printable-only / all-characters
     interpret-CCTL / suppress-cctl (not quite the same as "space!")
     ...and maybe more

and
     PAGE=   (stop every n lines (or don't ever stop))
     END=
     START=

The first class of options fall into the class that RAW should override.

I think that RAW should mean:

     (start where START= says)

     loop, optionally paginating:

        FREAD the data

        FWRITE the data, complete and intact, for the same length you got
        back from the FREAD

        stop when appropriate.

So, if a file with CCTL is PRINTed with ;RAW, I'd expect the carriage
control character to be printed as part of the data, since it is read as
part of the data.

Another, separate, question to ask is:
   What happens if NUM/UNN, FMT, CCTL/NOCCTL, or some other option normally
   suppressed by ;RAW, is specified on the line *AFTER* the keyword RAW?

   1) error

   2) warning, ignore the extra option

   3) follow the option as specified ... which would mean that most options
      are internally kept in 3-state logic.  Take NUM/UNN for example:

         is NUM requested?
         is UNN requested?
         is RAW requested?

      Thus, if you say:  PRINT ....; RAW; NUM
      that would mark all formatting options as "RAW requested" except for
      the NUM option.

   I'd vote for (3), then (1), then (2).  Why? Because if you implement (2)
   and then change your mind and switch to (3), working PRINT commands that
   were  getting warnings won't work the same.  But, if (1) is implemented, and
   then (2) *or* (3) is implemented, working PRINT commands will continue
   to work the same.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html