HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:58:22 -0400
At 09:26 PM 1/17/96 +0500, M Gopalakrishnan wrote:
>     But, normally PRINT replaces the CCTL byte (1st byte) in the CCTL
>     file with a space.  Should this still be done when RAW is specified?

Gopi--

Ooh... that'll be a touchy one.  My preference would be that ;RAW should
truly mean RAW - don't change anything, not even CCTLs - print the CCTL byte
just as it appears in the file.

On the other hand, if by getting hung up on the semantics we've strayed from
the original intent of the enhancement, then I'd suggest dumping the ;RAW
keyword in favor of ;NONUM.  This would be more precise to the intent of the
function - force :PRINT to assume that there are *no* line numbers in the
file.  By abandoning the connotations associated with the word RAW we are
free to narrow the scope of the enhancement to just what it says.  So if
;NONUM were the keyword then I'd say that CCTLs should be treated the same
as before, blank them out.

In this case, I would not see any need for an 'opposite' keyword, it would
just become an extension of the ;UNN / ;NUM syntax, thus:

   PRINT [[FILE=]filename]
         [[;OUT=]outfile]
         [[;START=]m]
         [[;END=]n]
         [[;PAGE=]p]
         [;{UNN}]
           {NUM}
           {NONUM}

...where ;UNN continues to be the default and both ;UNN and ;NUM behave the
same as they always did, and ;NONUM forces the assumption that there are no
line numbers in the file.  The only thing slightly unintuitive about this
syntax is that if you have a file with digits at the end-of-record which are
not really line numbers, and you want the file to be printed with relative
numbering shown, you would have to say:

   :PRINT myfile;NONUM;NUM

I could live with that.  If I really *really* want RAW, I can use :COPY or
:FCOPY
Jon Diercks * Programmer/Analyst      Computing Services
[log in to unmask] (PGP available)     Anderson University
http://rowlf.csv.anderson.edu/        1100 East Fifth St
(317)641-4305 * FAX (317)641-3851     Anderson, IN 46012