HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:57:50 -0500
In a message dated 96-01-17 11:49:47 EST, [log in to unmask] (Rodolfo
Lopez) writes:

>So my question is, is there a workaround to provide NS/VT services using
>Windows '95 or Windows NT Workstation without  losing major capabilities of
>the operating system upgrade?  Maybe Walker Richer and Quinn has the answer,
>but based on past experiences, my best bet is that someone on this list have
>addressed this situation already.

It is very simple.

On your PC, look in the WRQ directory.  It may be called WRNS, WRQNET or
something.  Just look for a file called RNNSVT.DLL, that this the only file
you need. Make sure that it is in a directory which is on your PATH
statement.

In Windows 95, right-click on Network Neighborhood and then goto properties.

Configuration tab, Add, Client, Add, Microsoft, Client for Microsoft
Networks, OK.

Back to Configuration tab, Add, Adapter, Add, (select your adapter
Manufacturer and Network adapter, or have a disk ready, configure the
adpater, if not detected already), OK.

Back to Configuration tab, Add, Protocol, Add, Microsoft, TCP/IP (configure
various parts of TCP/IP including address and name if DNS and stuff), OK.

Identification tab, Give your PC a name and a workgroup, make sure the
workgroup matches other PCs (I know you know, I'm trying to be thorough.)

Access control tab, if you have an NT platform already look into user-level
access control. If not leave it a share-level access control.)

Click OK and let the system restart.

When it is up, make sure you have a HOSTS file in Winows directory pointing
to the HP3000:

My HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.1.1.246     alpha
192.1.1.247     beta
192.1.1.248     gamma
192.1.1.249     delta
192.1.1.250     epsilon
192.1.1.251     guest1
192.1.1.252     guest2

Alpha is my HP3000, Beta is my HP9000, Gamma and Delta are desktop PCs,
epsilon is the notebook and I keep open two addresses for other purposes.

Get into reflection and select VT-MGR.  Also in Reflection 5.0 there is a way
to specify where the HOSTS file is located, make sure you do that.

If you have further questions, call me or e-mail me.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .
(713) 288-7438
http://www.hicomp.com/hicomp