HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Pete Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pete Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 07:29:27 EST

>One of our systems - a 980-200 running 5.0 - has experienced two
>instances of system logging becoming disabled during the past few days.
>I've checked all the conditions I can think of which would cause this -
>system volume set free space, etc. - but am coming up dry.  We
>restarted the system on Friday, 1/12 at 12:30pm, and the current log
>file is the same one which the system opened at startup.  LOG.PUB.SYS
>has the file opened, but the last entry appears to have been written at
>3:10pm on Friday.  Has anyone experienced this and come up with a
>solution?  HP appears to be stumped, and taking a memory dump would be
>tantamount to a death wish in our environment!

I suspect you have encountered the problem described in SR# 5003258731.
The problem results from a variable being initialized too late in a
certain procedure and will occur when a job tries to open a file but
has not supplied the needed lockword.

The fix is in patch MPEHXA0, which has now been superseded by MPEHXP7.

As stated by some others, watch out if you have to perform an INSTALL
because the logfile created during the boot will be based upon a
number stored on the SLT and logging will invariably shut down after
you have restored higher numbered logfiles and the current one fills
up to the point of needing to be switched out. To correct for this
condition, just purge or rename the logfile number shown by a
"SHOWLOG" command, along with all following logfiles, and then
execute the "RESUMELOG" command.

--
                            --Pete Crosby

* "Arguing with an Engineer is like mud-wrestling a pig. Pretty soon   *
*  you realize the pig likes it"  -author unknown                      *
*  Note: my comments are my own and do not reflect the views of my     *
*        employer or necessarily anyone else.     [log in to unmask]       *