HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 09:05:42 EST
On Sun, 14 Jan 1996 07:39:42 GMT <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>On Thu, 4 Jan 1996 19:37:00 PST Dan Hollis said:
>>>I've noticed an increasing tendency to get the "wrong answer" from HP
>>>Support when we call in. Just some observations:
>
>>[snip]
>
>The last five calls I made to the response center have been answered
>with wrong information and "not supported".  I even called to tell
>them how to fix a problem between Win95 and Resource Sharing and got
>the response "we do not support that and are not interested".  As of
>right now, we are reviewing the need for a service which is so
>expensive and offers no service.

It isn't always bad, that wasn't my intent.  If I have a system failure to
report, I get transferred to the SIT group, and usually get Pete Crosby or
someone else I know.  They know their excretory orifice from a chasm in the
crust of the earth and deal with me on a professional level.  Unfortunately
this isn't an "across-the-board" generalization.

But bearing in mind that they probably get as many stupid calls for support
that we get at the helpdesk (terminal not turned on, plugged in, or in local
mode) I can understand the problem.  If they don't know you, they assume the
worst.  Many moons ago I asked that they append their customer records with
a flag to indicate what level of user they were dealing with.  I doubt that
this has been implemented :-)

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>