HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:14:24 -0800
Rich asks:
>    I'm fishing for some clues:  Does anybody know/have any info about
> whether or not the number of modules in an XL affects the load time of a
> program using only a single module in that XL?

Probably.

Worse still, since loading is paid for only once, is:

   1) calls from myprog to mysub (inter-module calls) will take many more
      instructions than intra-module calls.

   2) the XL will be larger than necessary (using disk, memory, cache,
      upload time (for your phone support people)).

When building an XL, I usually specify ";LIMIT=n", where "n" is a small
integer .. if you don't the XL is built with a directory (?) much bigger
than you'll probably ever need (and wasting about 800 sectors).

When I add my modules into an XL, I usually specify ";MERGE", to make them
go into one module.  Of course, this may make replacing one part of the
XL more difficult ... but the payoff is worth it to me.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html