HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
"James R. Alton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 21:12:46 +0000
 With all the negative (virtual) press HP support has been getting
I'd thought I should throw this one in the ring.

 I had been working on porting some HP-UX code to the Posix
environment under MPE, going happily along assuming that some base
functions were well in place.  When the time came a very fundamental
function let me down.

 Being part of the PA-Risc developer program I sent a request for
help to HP.  The request landed in the lap of Bart Zaino.  Over the
next several weeks he pulled out every possible stop, involving four
different divisions of HP, until they had a reasonable explanation of
the problem.

 The problem was narrowed down to a faulty compiler/linker on the
3000 where I was doing the work.  This happens to be a production
system that can't be taken down for a re-load of the compiler/linker
but the customer needs the ported coded yesterday.

 I inform HP of the situation and recieve the response, "don't worry
Jim, we'll make arrangements to cover you".  And they've done just
that.

 Many thanks to Bart, who had to put up with dialing into my Linux
system because I wanted proof a test program compiled properly on his
system.

Jim
James R. Alton                              phone: (905) 389-6036
Senior Project Consultant                   email: [log in to unmask]
Fioravanti-Redwood, Inc.                    fax  : (905) 276-8956
Toronto, Chicago, Denver, Cleveland         www  : www.FRInc.com
Information Technology: Professional Services and Consulting