HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:03:42 GMT
In <[log in to unmask]> "James B. Byrne"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>We have a 935 as our main production machine (HP-IB) and are using a
>DDS-1 (C1151a?) type tape unit to store our backups.
>Last night our site experienced a powerfail and recovery.  Everything
>came back up and ran fine, except the backups.  Apparently the
powerfail
>recovery resets the tape drive so that the presence of a cartridge is
no
>longer recognized. You must physically cycle the loader function on
the
>drive to cause the system to recognize that media is loaded.
>
>My question are:
>
>Is there a way to have this done in software?

Actually, yes, and it has been done in a few programs which answers
your next question:

>Does a program already exist which can do this?

As Stan mentioned, he has contributed a utility to do so, and Jeff
hinted at there being an HP supplied utility in the MPEXL.TELESUP
group.  Also, if you have MPEX from VESOFT, it has been implemented as
a command called %DEVCONTROL.  (version 2.5)

>If it is possible, what are the implications of running such a
>program at the beginning of every backup job?

Plus side: it would always work.

Minus side: it would always work, even when you "forget" and leave
last-nights backup in the tape drive...

--
Tom Emerson
[log in to unmask] (here)