HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
"Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rudderow, Evan
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 07:10:00 EST
In the January '96 issue of The 3000 News Wire Ron Seybold recounts Ken
Paul's visit to DMD regarding the reliability of 2GB disc drives, at one
point Ron writes:

> Paul was following up on his notes and meetings as we went to press, but
it's clear
> the existing failure rate of the 2GB devices is here to stay.  HP has
stopped
> making the drives, but some are still being stocked by the Computer
Systems
> Organization for use in HP3000s.  Boise engineers have long since moved on
> designing 8.75 GB drives, while the Disk Memory Division is now
manufacturing
> new 4GB units just released to HP3000 customers last month.

Does this mean that 2GB drives will be dying a slow death -- or that they
will not be obtainable much longer?  Frankly, principally because of I/O
throughput considerations, 2GB is about as much as I'm willing to put on a
spindle.

So, Ron -- or anyone else -- what's the future hold for us when it comes to
disc drive capacities?

 -- Evan