HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 2

From:
Ray KINGSBURY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ray KINGSBURY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:49:00 +0000
Strange RESTORE problem:

We just added a couple of disc drives to our HP3000/957, so
we thought we'd do an install/restore to defragment. The
install was successfully, and we re-added the other drives
to the system volume set (we are, unfortunately, entrenched
in a single-volume-set configuration for the time-being),
and began restoring our backup tapes.

Our entire system is backed up to two tapes using two :STOREs.
The first is created with the DIRECTORY option, and that tape
restored just fine.

The second, however, had many files that wouldn't restore:
if the RESTORE command was entered without a CREATE, it would
complain that the account didn't exist for these files, even
though the account did exist, and other files would restore
successfully to the same groups and accounts! If the RESTORE
was entered with a CREATE, we would get S/R 1958 "Creation
of account directory node failed" (presumably because it already
existed). I could find no obvious differences between the files
that restored successfully and those that didn't; it still seems
very strange to me.

I finally ended up logging into each affected group
individually and restoring the files for that group with the
LOCAL parameter, and now we're back up again, but it was
very tedious (several dozen groups individualy restored).

I wasn't able to find anything relevant on HP Supportline; has
anybody else seen anything like this - any ideas?

Thanks. Ray.