HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 16:19:44 -0800
Jon writes:
> SR # 5003248492 TURBOSTORE/XL II OLB 36388A          50.11 Sev: S Pri: 3
>
> Classification: Enhancement (Maybe)          Status: Being considered
> ER modify TStore to short-map omnidex db files (type -410 or 411)
> TRUBOSTORE OLB does not allow users to open a database with SHORT MAPPED
> access if that database is currently being stored.  TURBOSTORE opens
> the database in LONG MAPPED access as default.
> Users opening the database receive an error  3950.
>
> This Enhancement Request is to ask HP to change TURBOSTORE/XL II OLB to
> open databases (filecode of -410 or -411) with SHORT mapped access.

This would be a terrible idea, since there is a system-wide limit on
short mapped space (2 GB) ... and this change can cause at least 2 separate
problems (see below).

The correct fix is for Omnidex to use long mapped access, not short mapped.
Or, as explained in the workaround in the full text of the SR, avoid
backing up the files via TurboSTore.

> Since it is unlikely that Omnidex will redesign its
> internals to use Long Mapped access, a simple enhancement to

Tough...complain to DISC ... short mapped access is simply WRONG in this
case.

> TurboStore could solve both problems.   If TurboStore can

No, TurboStore *cannot* solve both problems, without potentially causing
two new problems:

   1) inability to store all the files it is requested to store, because
      the sum of the selected omnidex files is > 2GB (or, realistically,
       > 1.5 GB).  (and/or the sum is < 2GB, but there isn't that much
      SR6/SR7 space available at the moment.)

   2) other applications that are users of short mapped files will start to
      fail during TurboStore backups of multiple Omnidex files (because
      TS took all the available short mapped space)

> Submitting this request on behalf of the the customer, BOMBARDIER INC &
>              3rd Party Software vendor, Omnidex

Um, all the names Jon?  :)

> MARKETING TEXT:
>
> 02/14/95 On the surface this appears to be a reasonable request but

No.

> er space already). Passing on for enlightenment.

You got it! (The SR has a good description of why you might not want to
do this...see below)

> 02/21/95  MPE/iX Expert Center
>
> After talking to the turbostore lab, we will ask OMIDEX to take another
> look at making the enhancement request to their code instead.

Good!

> The basic
> problem is that if Turbostore opens these files as short mapped, there
> will increase the possibility of running out of short pointer space.
> Turbostore keeps up to 30 files per son open and sometimes these files
> are opened for long periods of time, depending on what type of files
> are being opened. Since short pointer space is a limited system wide
> resource, it is not a good idea to be yet another subsystem using it
> up. Should this space be exhausted, other subsystems such as TurboImage
> would be affected to the point of causing it to be unable to function.

Right!

Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html