HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 2

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 09:17:03 -0800
> too many exciting comments on hpib support for 9x9ks boxes to list here
> [mucho snipping]

All I care about is a reasonable upgrade path that doesn't penalize me for
being an existing HP customer. So, if I have some hpib disk drives I would
ask that HP give me a generous special trade-in credit for these drives so
that I can *protect my investment*. For those devices that need scsi kits,
price these kits attractively on new system purchases so that I can convert
my other devices from hpib to scsi.

It would probably be cheaper for HP to do this and retire hpib then to keep
supporting it.

I have lived through a few of the system conversions previously stated (DEC,
IBM, etc) and for my money, HP has done are pretty darned good job providing
a stable and compatible computing platform with minimal conversion from box
to box. Not many vendors can match their track record on this one.

Also, thinking in the longer term and the bigger picture, I believe if we
saddle HP with continued support of older proprietary HP stuff like hpib we
give them more reasons to completely shut down the 3k.

Just my .02 worth on this bright and sunny day.

Duane Percox  (QSS)
[log in to unmask] (415-306-1608, fax 415-365-2706)
http://www.aimnet.com/~qssnet/
 ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/qssnet/
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." -- Linus Pauling