HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 2

From:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Wowchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:07:35 +1100
At 04:25 PM 9/1/96 +0500, Mohan Das wrote:
>We in CSY Lab are investigating  the feasibility of providing  Multiple Job
>Accepting Queues on MPE/iX.  We are still in the preliminary  investigation
[general snip...]

The 3000 already has multiple queues.  It is just that all but one are for
printer (output) spooling. In my view, the input (job) spooling should
conceptually behave in the same way.  In output spooling a file is submitted
to the queue, from which an associated printer server/driver removes and
processes the file.  The input spooling should be the same - a file is
submitted to a queue from which the job dispatcher picks up and processes.
(Pop Quiz: describe how multiple job dispatchers would work! :)

So with that paradigm in mind, let's reconsider your essentials:

>Job Queue Properties:
>--------------------
>1. Queue name - A name to identify the queue.  The naming  convention  will
>   be same as  existing  rules for MPE file  names.  The Queue  name can be
>   given by the system  administrator  when  creating the Queue and will be
>   used to refer to the queue in all other commands.

So a name the same format as a printer queue name, right?  MPE Namespace name?

>   By default, one job queue will exist (similar to the currently  existing
>   job queue).  This queue is called  SYSJOBQ.  This queue cannot be purged
>   or renamed.

Theoretically I can rename my LP print queue, so why not this one?  If so
then give it a simpler name - JOBQ.  Let people will rename it if they don't
like it ('specially good for non-English speaking folks!)

>2.  User class - Set of users who can stream jobs in this queue.

Again, I think it is possible to restrict print queues to specific users
and/or accounts, but I don't think it is common.  I can see merit that some
job queues may be restricted to an account. So the default should be that
all queues are open, but they may be altered to restrict them to certain
users and groups of users.

Fundamentally, though, a queue should be open to one or more groups of
users, and a user should be able to access one or more groups of queues.
Just as in printing.

>   The membership can be specified in one of the following ways (we need to
>   decide which of these approaches to adopt) :

Is there not already a method in place for print queues.  If so then use that.
[snip...]

>   2. This could be part of NEWJOBQ and ALTJOBQ commands with a parameter
>      ;USERS=<User list>.

The use of a NEWJOBQ and ALTJOBQ command by sysop or sysmgr would be much
appreciated over the current print queue methods of sysgen & re-boot! :)

>   Each  user can be a  memeber  of only one Q at any point of time.  Users
>   without any specified Q membership will belong to the general SYSJOBQ by
>   default. If any Q is deleted,  all the  members of that queue lose their
>   membership and will belong to the general job queue.

NO, NO, NO!!!  Just as a user can use multiple printer queues, they should
have access to multiple job queues.  Alter the :STREAM and !JOB commands
accordingly to accept optional INPUTQ parameters.  If not INPUTQ is
specified, then use the system default.

>3. Job limit - Maximum number of active jobs for this queue.
Yes.

>Operation:
>---------
>
>   The max.  number of jobs  specified  by  :LIMIT  command  indicates  the
>   system  wide  limit.  At any  point  of time the  number  of jobs in the
>   system cannot exceed this limit.

Again, just as the JOBFENCE command alters particular limits, the behaviour
for the LIMIT should be enhanced the same way.

>   The  limit on  number  of jobs for each  job  queue  can be set by using
>   ALTJOBQ command.
>
>   Other  properties  of job  queues,  like Job  Fence,  Default  Execution
>   Priority,  Maximum  execution  Priority and Job security are same across
>   all job queues and these are set by :JOBFENCE,  :JOBPRI and :JOBSECURITY
>   commands respectively.

Why could they not be adjustable per QUEUE, especially Max Execution
priority? That way, the Oracle jobs could be streamed in a job queue ORACLE
with a max priority of CS, while COBOL compilation jobs could go into a
queue PROGDEV with a max prioirty of DS.  Giving the grunt Oracle needs and
controlling the desires of eager young programmers. :)  (Please no flames on
comparitive merits of ORACLE vs Programmers! :)

[single user/queue stuff trashed....]

>SHOWJOB output:
>--------------
[snip...]
>:showjob ;format=jobq
>                               New field
>                               ~~~~~~~~~
>JOBNUM  STATE IPRI JIN  JLIST  JOBQ      INTRODUCED  JOB NAME
>
>#J3     EXEC        10S LP     SYSJOBQ   WED 11:46A  FTPMON,FTP.SYS
>#J7     EXEC        10S LP     SYSMGRQ   WED  5:47P  EMG,MGR.SYSMGR
>#S81    EXEC        34  34     SESSION   THU 12:17P  MGR.GOPI
                     ^^^
Why not change JIN to show the QUEUE name for JOBS?  Cost is probably only 4
extra characters, and no special formats needed.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide some feedback.

Cheers.
----
Jim "seMPEr" Wowchuk
Vanguard Computer Services     Internet:    [log in to unmask]
 _--_|\                        Compu$erve:  100036,106
/      \                       Post:        PO Box 18, North Ryde, NSW 2113
\.--.__/ <---Sydney NSW        Phone:       +61 (2) 888-9688
      v      Australia         Fax:         +61 (2) 888-3056