HP3000-L Archives

January 1996, Week 1

From:
Richard Trapp RAT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Trapp RAT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 16:06:00 PST
Mark Roberts ([log in to unmask]) writes concerning Omnidex:

>Has anyone had a problem with using Omnidex keys and periodically having
>entries missing from the omnidex chains?  I have has several occurrence
>where I have entries I can find with Query or any other Image program but
>if I try to find the same entry using Omnidex keys it does not show up.
>If I reindex the database the entries show correctly.  I run a reindex of
>the database weekly but when these problems occur mid-day they can cause
>obvious problems.
[snip]
>We are running 5.0 with Omnidex version 3.01.04.

Mark,
    This can happen if the database is not enabled for Third Party Indexing
and someone modifies data without running through the Omnidex intrinsics.

     Assuming that TPI is enabled (and isn't disabled by accident) , there
can only be few explanation; the most likely a being a bug in Omnidex.
    In general it should be *impossible* to corrupt the indexes while TPI is
enabled without using non-IMAGE methods (i.e. restoring only parts of the
database, Priv program FWRITEing over Image or Index data).  We have found 2
or 3 corner cases where we've had a bug in the TPI code and fixed it.   I
recommend you get on the most recent release (3.03.20) and focus on
narrowing down the problem if it's reproducible on that version.

Rich.
________ Dynamic Information Systems Corp.   |
\!DISC / Rich Trapp                          |This
 \    /  OMNIDEX Product Manager - IMAGE/SQL | Space
  \  /   Phone : 303 444-4000                |   For
   \/    E-mail: [log in to unmask]                |     Rent...