HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 5

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 09:38:00 S
We have used DTC with TAC for over a year now. We run a mix of DTC's and
NS-VT connections on our network (160 people, 20 on a WAN across town).

We have a mix of DTC's, one with a TAC, and HP Advancestack hubs. We run
HP3000, HP9000, HP740 and a bunch of Linux and NT PC's.
Our printers are either attached to the HP3000 via serial port into a
DTC, or Jetdirect connected to the lan and NBSpool moves spoolfiles to an
NT server, who pushes them out to the network PC's.

The whole thing hangs together quite nicely and is reliable and robust.

The DTC Openview software lives on an old HP QS/16 386 PC. It runs under
WFWG3.11. It won't run under Windows95 or NT.

It doesn't use WinSOCK, so it needs the ancient ARPA stack from HP.

We eagerly await an update to Openview, so that we can migrate it to one
of our NT servers.

We installed the TAC becuase NS-VT was taking 6% of our 980/100 CPU.
Since then, we have installed a 959/400, and the NS-VT problem doesn't
really matter :) because the 959/400 is amazingly fast!

I look forward to 5.5, with it's promise of network (jetdirect) printer
support, enhancments to Posix and telnet server.

Neil Harvey