HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 17:16:24 -0800
Gavin writes:

> Unfortunately, the MPE compilers are *only* capable of compiling for the
> lowest common denominator.  As far as I know, there is no way to get any
> of the Native Mode compilers to generate code that will run better on
> new systems or worse on old systems.

SIGSoftVend has raised this issue with HP for several years running,
with the unofficial answer: "get lost".
We've also heard things like "the user community doesn't care about
performance", and "what is the business need?".

We had the temerity to point out that the HP-UX compilers have had the
ability to emit code tailored to either PA-RISC 1.0 or 1.1 (or 1.2 too?)
for years, and have had at least
one more level of code optimization available that MPE doesn't provide.

Unfortunately, these
compilers appear to be controlled by CSL (Compiler Software Lab?) in
Cupertino, but the "official" support for MPE/iX compilers was moved to
Roseville a couple of years ago (approx.).

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html