HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 5

Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 10:02:27 -0800
David Lethe writes:
> There is absolutely no doubt that some systems will run slower with
> MPE/iX 5.0.  This is because HP chose not to compile code to the lowest
> common denominator PA-Risc hardware.

Unfortunately, the MPE compilers are *only* capable of compiling for the
lowest common denominator.  As far as I know, there is no way to get any
of the Native Mode compilers to generate code that will run better on
new systems or worse on old systems.

> Specifically 9x7 class machines will generally see no performance
> gains/losses, while the older systems should see 10-15% slower execution
> on certain applications...

I know that there are a few places where, because of differences in
newer hardware, there is now an 'old way' and a 'new way' to do things.
In some cases HP *finally* got around to changing MPE to do some of these
things the 'new way', which does have this kind of effect.  Newer
systems gain a small improvement, and in one or two cases older systems
will suffer a small penalty because of this change.  I don't know of
any specific cases where this penalty should be as dramatic as 10-15%.

> I have the specifics on what programs, percentage losses, etc... but I
> guess that anybody with the older hardware already knows this
> information, and anybody with the new hardware doesn't need it anyway.

I don't know of anybody who has this information, so I for one would be
very interested in seeing what you have.

G.