HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 21:34:35 EST
On Sat, 23 Dec 1995 17:48:26 GMT Luc Sierens said:
>Does anyone actually use a HP3000 as WWW browser, probably using LYNX?
>I have succeeded in installing the lynx binary on our site, but I do
>have some unsolved problems.

Welcome to the club! :-)

>1. links do not show up on a 2392A  terminal (docs say they
>should be in bold, which this terminal does not support).

The likely candidate here is the termcap/terminfo (I get them mixed up)
entry for hp2392a.  Unfortunately there are more display attributes which
a field can be assigned with curses than the terminal supports, and thus
some attributes are either ignored or duplicately assigned.  I had more
details at one time but gave up after trying to decipher the cryptic entry
and hoped somebody would come along with one that worked :-)

David Greer at Robelle did some source modifications to support hpterms
better, but unfortunately the "fixes" break the vt100 mode (which as I
recall works if you set that termtype).  I played around with various
termtypes with differing results, and one of them worked better, but
crashed rather spectacularly when you exited the program.

lynx on our Sun Solaris box works with hpterm, but you can't just swap
termtype definitions (one is terminfo, the other is termcap).

I'll have to go experiment again and perhaps we can turn up a fix.

>2. accented letters are not displayed, but show as escaped codes
>(e.g. like \175 or something).

No ideas about this one, sorry.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>