HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 4

From:
Roger Klump <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Klump <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:59:39 GMT
Just thought I'd pass along something that bit me last night/this
morning.

I installed the Express 3 PowerPatch last night at a client site.  I
didn't expect any problems as we had been using it on our system for
about a week and a half with no problems.  Lo and behold:  the
client's system crashed this morning.  I called in to the Response
Center and asked if there were any problems with the PowerPatch.  (The
client didn't want to do a dump as the system had to be back up as
soon as possible.)  A few minutes later I get a call back, and one of
the first questions asked was - "Did you install the supplemental
patch before or after the PowerPatch?"

Supplemental Patch?  What Supplemental Patch?  There was supposed to
be a second patch tape with the PowerPatch with documentation on why
you needed it.  We failed to receive either the documentation or the
supplemental patch tape itself.  It isn't necessary on all systems I'm
told, but we verified that it was needed on the client system.  So now
I have to back date the system and reinstall the PowerPatch - first
installing the supplemental patch.

Treat this as a warning and be careful that you have received both the
PowerPatch tape and the Supplemental Patch tape with all the
documentation.

Roger Klump
Orion Group Software Engineers