HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
Craig Vespe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Vespe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 15:13:54 CST
Hi all -

   Does anybody out here know a manufacturer/seller that makes very
   short DAT tapes?

   Both our support and R&D organizations use these tapes for end-of-
   volume/reel switch situations in testing our storage management
   products.  Once upon a time we had access to these tapes, but as
   our organizations grew and changed, the location of the short DATs
   became closely guarded secrets - nobody wanted to give up "their"
   tapes; likewise, manufacturers decided that constuction, demand and
   profit margins dictated their demise.

   Making "short" reel-to-reel tapes is a very simple matter - just spin
   off as much tape as you feel you need and place an EOT marker on it.
   Making a short DAT tape tape on the on the other hand requires the
   dexterity of a Swiss watch repair-person, with results that are often
   unsatisfactory.

   Any help greatly appreciated,
   cv
--
Craig Vespe [log in to unmask] Unison Software 811 Barton Springs, Austin Tx.78704
512-478-0611 http://www.unison.com NASDAQ UNSN disclaimer quote ANSI graphics