HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 08:04:19 -0700
Larry Boyd writes:
>Raymond Zwankhuizen wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to make my HP3000/952 notify me if something has
>> gone wrong on my system.
>> This is not only when a hardware error occurs, or my system aborts,
>> but also on events I can define, e.g. a job which has aborted.
>> I remember having seen something on a HP3000 MPE/V system some years
>> ago, but I don't remember where or what it was called.
>
>The product is CALLBACK/3000...  I believe they are located in either
>>Washington state, or Oregon.

They're in Portland, Oregon; I don't have the number handy but the area
code is 503. I investigated this for a client a couple of months ago.
Design/3000 has a product that's very capable but very pricy -- $5,000 and
up. For a less-capable but much lower-priced product, look at Telamon's
Console Engine. It doesn't scan spoolfiles or anything like that, but it
will watch the console for a particular sequence and page when it sees
that. It also bothers the console every few minutes if it doesn't see any
activity in order to detect crashes and hangs. Its remote console
facilities are quite extensive; I don't know how they compare to the
Callback/3000 product.

We selected it in preference to CALLBACK/3000 on the basis of price and
Telamon's reputation; the needs were simple enough that the Console Engine
had all the facilities necessary. (The feature sets are disjoint enough
that the client would have had to spend about $6700 to get a CALLBACK/3000
system with the features they needed.) If you're willing to modify your
batch jobs a little, you might be able to get by a Console Engine as well;
I'm using the client's application's built-in error logging to provide the
necessary Console Engine messages.

I have to mention one minor thing that irritated me about CALLBACK/3000
that has nothing to do with the product: the company has a flat $100
shipping charge. This seemed excessive for a small piece of hardware and a
few pounds of manuals, especially given what they charge for the product.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                 |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay