HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 16:35:17 EST
I'll try to be brief (probably impossible, but I'll try)...

I'm sure you are aware of "spamming" of newsgroups and mailing lists, so
I'll skip that; this goes one step further.

In the last 2-3 months there have been numerous "suspicious" addresses that
will (a) subscribe to every list you offer that is a public list, (b) review
the list to obtain addresses, and (c) unsubscribe <sometimes>.  There have
been a few cases discussed in mail/news/listserv management circles where
a "spam" has been widely distributed through *direct* mailing (not via a
listserv or newsgroup).  The obvious conclusion is that the second-generation
spammers are sucking e-mail addresses from mailing lists and newsgroup
postings, and unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about it.

I have bulk-deleted the offenders from here, but unfortunately that is
usually "after the fact".  I could screen subscriptions, but that may make
it more difficult for legitimate people to subscribe.  I can restrict the
mailing list contents to the realm of a "privileged" file if you wish, but
am not sure about the ramifications of that.  Often it is useful to find
the address of a subscriber you know is on the list, but don't have their
e-mail address.  Fortunately there is a "scan" command (a recent addition)
to do the same; e.g., send message to listserv "scan hp3000-l sieler" will
return you any addresses or full names containing "sieler".

This doesn't work for people getting addresses from postings or news items.
Nobody likes junk mail, and it looks as though we will have to live with it
to some degree for awhile; but I feel that I should try and protect the
readership from such underhanded schemes.  At the same time, I don't want
to be setting off a false alarm, crying wolf, or restricting access to any
information that was previously available.

If you feel strongly either way, please e-mail me directly (not the list)
so I can "test the waters" of sentiment on this issue.  I'm bringing this
up now since one such direct spam came to me yesterday, and I have no clue
where they got my address (a "stay tuned for 20 inch monitors < $1000" ad).

Your friendly neighborhood hp3000-l list janitor...
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>