HP3000-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 16:20:25 -0500
Ken Sletten wrote:

> During the inevitable extended power failure which occurred
> this week when the big storm blew through the Pacific NW, the
> power supply on the PC that was running our DTC Openview
> Manager decided to give up the ghost.  Of course our 957
> came up all the way by itself (since we have AUTOBOOT
> enabled), and would have been all ready for the users to
> log on in the morning;  EXCEPT of course the DTC's weren't
> there:  No DTC Openview Manager.

> This is a couple times now this has happened, where the
> Openview PC has been hard down for hardware or software
> problems after an extended power failure (once it just decided
> to "eat" the config file for one out of six DTC's)....

> We are eagerly awaiting MPE/iX on-line config, so we can
> dump Openview DTC Manager and the PC it runs on.....
>
> Ken Sletten

This is exactly the scenario that prevents me from purchasing OV
DTC manager to obtain nailed port access through my DTC based
X.25 card.  Despite a considerable amount of effort on my part I
still have yet to get a sensible answer as to why a piece of
equipment so highly regarded for its reliablity and robustness
(the HP3000 family) is deliberately tied by its manufacturer to
the "motherboard of the week architecture" from Intel and
brethern.

This is like getting a Mercedes Benz and finding out that you
need a Trabant to start it.

Jim